September 2, 2014 § Leave a comment
welcome to september and the coming fall/winter months, my favorite time of the year! xk
August 29, 2014 § 1 Comment
August 28, 2014 § 3 Comments
August 25, 2014 § 3 Comments
over the past couple of summers my parents have made their own pickles, the store bought ones just don’t even compare to these. they get their cucumber pickles from sauvie island in oregon and i always look forward to getting them by the jar full!
ingredients: (makes approx. 8 to 12 jars)
• 10 pounds tiny organic kosher dill refrigerator cucumber pickles
• 24 garlic cloves, whole
• 12 teaspoons pickling spice
• 12 red hot chili peppers, dried
• dill flowers in the bud stage
• 12 wide mouth 1 quart mason jars with lids and rings
• brine (see recipe below)
• 4 quarts warm water
• 1 quart white vinegar
• 1 cup pickling salt
– mix until salt dissolves
1. clean cucumber pickles with a washcloth in water and discard any bad ones. slice any large cucumber pickles into small spears and pack tightly into jars.
2. add 2 cloves garlic, 1 pepper, 1 teaspoon spice and 2 good sized dill sprigs into each jar.
3. pour brine over contents of jars to within a quarter inch of mouth of jar. pickles should be beneath liquid.
4. wipe rims of jars dry with paper towel before placing the lids and rings.
note: the exact amount of brine needed will depend on how tightly you pack the cucumbers.
refrigerate for 10 to 14 days before eating and enjoy!