cornflake chocolate chip marshmallow cookies
February 2, 2014 § 2 Comments
lately i’ve been craving classic chocolate chip cookies. this variation by momofuku milk bar is by no means a classic, but is yummy ridiculous. just make sure to use a stand mixer as i did not and used a wooden spoon, so my cookies came out flat as pancakes, but they were still delicious nonetheless! and just a warning, you won’t be able to resist the cookie dough.
ingredients: (makes 15-20 large cookies)
• 2 sticks unsalted room temperature butter
• 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 2/3 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
• 1 egg
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 3 cups cornflake crunch (recipe below)
• 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
• 1 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
1. in a stand mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes. scrape down sides of the bowl with a spatula
2. add egg and vanilla extract and beat 7-8 minutes
3. on low speed, mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until just combined (1 minute max) do not over mix!
4. scrape down sides and still on low speed, paddle in the cornflake crunch and chocolate chips until just incorporated (30-45 seconds), stir in marshmallows as well
5. line a cookie sheet. measure 1/3 cup portions of dough (using a 2 oz. ice cream/cookie scoop) onto the pan. pat tops of dough mounds flat. wrap the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 1 week. (do not bake at room temperature)
6. when ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees and arrange the chilled dough onto lined baking sheets at least 4 inches apart.
7. bake about 18 minutes until browned around the edges and beginning to brown in the center. cookies will puff, crackle and spread. if they seem pale and doughy on the surface, leave in the oven for about 1 more minute.
8. cool cookies completely on pan before moving them to a plate or an airtight container. at room temperature cookies will keep fresh for 5 days, in the freezer they will keep for 1 month. enjoy!
cornflake crunch recipe
• 5 cups cornflakes
• 1/2 cup milk powder
• 3 tbsp granulated sugar
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 9 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1. preheat oven to 275 degrees
2. in a medium bowl, use hands to crush cornflakes to a quarter of their original size
3. add milk powder, sugar and salt and toss lightly
4. add butter and toss to coat (the butter acts as the glue and will create small clusters)
5. spread the cornflake clusters onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until they look toasted, smell buttery and crunch when cooled slightly
6. cool completely before storing or using in a recipe
7. store in an airtight container at room temperature