banana chocolate chip bread
May 17, 2014 § 2 Comments
once again i had three very black bananas in the fridge waiting to be baked into this delicious banana bread. chocolate chips were also thrown in at the last minute! this recipe was adapted from one of food & wine’s cookbooks best of the best.
• 3 very ripe bananas peeled and mashed
• 2 heaping tablespoons greek yogurt
• 1 large egg at room temperature
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
• 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
• 1/2 cup raw pecans, chopped
• 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
• 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. in a large mixing bowl mix the banana and yogurt until smooth. add the egg, lemon zest and vanilla and mix until well combined.
3. in another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well mixed. add the butter and half the banana mixture and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened. add the remaining banana mixture and fold in the pecans, sunflower seeds and chocolate chips.
4. pour the batter into a buttered, non-stick loaf pan. sprinkle with the brown sugar so that a nice light sweet crust will form on top.
5. bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. cool the bread.
7. make a lemon glaze (confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and water) to drizzle over the bread if desired and enjoy!