cupcakes w. old fashioned frosting
August 21, 2014 § 1 Comment
the other day i was craving cupcakes which is a pretty regular thing. i had a box of cake mix but no powdered sugar to make frosting, so i used granulated sugar which is what i had on hand.
• box of white cake mix
• water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on box
• 1/2 cup milk (i used coconut)
• 3 tablespoons flour (sounds strange i know)
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• pink food coloring
1. bake cupcakes as directed on cake mix box and allow to cool.
2. cook milk and flour over low heat until very thick and allow to cool.
3. cream together sugar and butter. add milk and flour mixture and beat until whipped cream consistency.
4. mix in the vanilla and a couple drops of the food coloring.
5. apply the frosting to the tops of the cooled cupcakes with a butter knife.
6. enjoy with a hot cup of black coffee!
photo by kristina
granulated sugar frosting recipe by cooks.com